Saturday, September 30, 2006

Strikeback Music Festival

I wish I had been posting since I arrived in Australia, but I haven't. So, oh well.

Today I went to the Strikeback Music Festival in Newcastle. This weekend is jam packed with stuff to do in the area, which isn't very common. They could have spread things out over a month of weekends, but decided to cram it all at once. It just means that I have to pick and choose what I do.

Music festivals are quite a bit different here in Australia. There was no one set genre that all the groups fell into. There were five stages (3 bands playing at any given time) with hard rock, hip-hop, jam, and others at the same venue. I couldn't imagine such different groups being found in the same place in the US without some serious fights breaking out between opposing fans.

The musicians are a bit different, too. At Ozfest in Pittsburgh, the bassist from Mudvane got hit in the head with a bottle of water. While I thought this was hilarious, he was ready to go down to the crowd and attack the person guilty of throwing it. A member from Bodyjar got hit with a rugby ball and he replied 'Bloody hell! That was a good shot!' Then he booted the ball into the crowd.

I got to see a lot of bands during the day. It lasted from 10-11, but I didn't go until 4 because I went for a bit of a surf. The bands I saw were:
Bodyjar (they do a song found in Tony Hawk)
Repercussion + Kai + Dhopec (hip-hop bands)
Bagster (Rock band with a horns section)
Mojo Juju (Bluegrass, I suppose would best describe them. Sang a song about keeping your dog upon a leash because my chickens don't like your dog. Also, they all spoke in fake accents.)
Lefta Centa (Hip-hop)
Bliss N Eso (Hip-hop)
Laura Imbruglia (I assume Natalie Imbruglia's sister, similar style)
E.E.S. (Hip-hop, some contest winner, not a big fan)
TZU (Hip-hop, this was the second time I saw them)
Sleight of Hand (Harder rock)
Karnivool (Harder rock, reminded me of System of a Down)

I emjoyed being able to go from one genre to the other so easily. And the venue was great: right by Nobby's beach. You could smell the ocean.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home